Did you know that there are eight official branches operated by the REAL Somboon Seafood restaurant? Famous for their Fried Curry Crab, Somboon Seafood has been in operation since 1969.
Here’s their history:
1969 – “Somboon Seafood” first opened in Samyan Area, occupying a shophouse close by Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Commerce and Accountancy. This was where the famous “Poo-Phad-Phong-Karee’’ (Fried Curry Crab) was originated and became very popular among Thai diners for its freshness, deliciousness and reasonable prices.
1990 – The second outlet ‘’Surawong’’ opened on the more urbane Surawong Road and the brand Somboon Seafood started to be well-known among Japanese and international expatriates.
1991 – At end of the lease for the Samyan outlet, the restaurant was moved to a new location, “Banthadthong”.
1993 – Introducing “Somboon Chinese Restaurant”, on Banthadthong Road. The new restaurant brand features authentic Cantonese cuisine and is well received by local and international public figures and businessmen.
1996 – New expansion of Somboon Seafood, the “Ratchada Branch”, on Ratchadapisek Road, which at that time was an emerging business district of Bangkok
2001 – The restaurant launched its “Udomsuk (Bangna)’’ branch in the prime residential area of eastern Bangkok.
2008 – The return of “Samyan Branch” at the newly-built Chamchuri Square Building, the same spot where the first Somboon Seafood restaurant was established 40 years ago.
2014 – Somboon Seafood is proudly celebrating its 45th anniversary with the launching of two new branches: “Central Embassy” and “Siam Square One”. The new outlets are located in the middle of the city’s prime entertaining and commercial districts and easily accessible by BTS skytrain.
OKAY, enough of the REAL DEAL! Now, lets have a look at WHO’s the FAKE?!?
Apparently, there is a not-so-new-kid-on-the-block named SOMBOONDEE SEAFOOD MARKET. It was reported multiple times by different bloggers and tourists that they have been cheated by their “flagged drivers” to patronise this seafood restaurant which is passing off as the original SOMBOON Seafood. This has annoyed the original SOMBOON Seafood so much that they decided to warn their clients but sharing that they have only eight outlets and be aware of SCAMMERS!
So next time, please only go to the following outlets to feast on their Fried Curry Crab! I am slurping my saliva while finishing this post! Haha.
1. Bantadthong Branch (nearest BTS National Stadium) – 895/6-21 Soi Chula 8, Bantadthong Rd., Wangmai, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330
2. Surawong Branch (nearest BTS Chong Nonsi) – 169,169/7-12 Surawong Rd., Suriyawong, Bangrak, Bangkok 10500
3. Ratchada Branch (nearest MRT Huai Khwang) – 167/9-12 Huay-Kwang Intersection, Ratchadapisek Rd., Din Deang, Bangkok 10320
4. UdomSuk Branch (nearest BTS Udom Suk) – 26 UdomSuk 60, Sukhumvit 103 Rd., NongBon, Pravet, Bangkok 10250
5. Samyan Branch (MRT SamYan Station) – 315 Chamchuri Square Building, Room101-102-103 Ground ﬂ., Phya Thai Rd., Patumwan, Bangkok 10330
6. Central Embassy Branch (BTS Ploen Chit Station) – 5th fl., Central Embassy 1031 Ploenchit Rd, Lumpini, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330
7. Siam Square One Branch (BTS Siam Station) – 4th fl., Siam Square One Building Rama 1 road, Patumwan, Bangkok 10330
8. CentralWorld Branch (BTS Chit Lom Station Exit 1) – 6th fl., CentralWorld 4, 4/1-4/2, 4/4 Ratchadamri Rd., Pathum Wan, BKK 10330
Article contributed by Calvin Ng, Fitness Trainer and Online Business Coach